Thursday 12 February 2015

DJ Peter Parker - Rhyme Tyme: Episode 96 (2007)

Late 2006-2007 was a weird time for me as far as music went. Like most people I'd become pretty reliant on the internet to keep in touch with what music was coming out, but due to moving house (amongst other things) I fell out of the loop for a while. By the time I returned, the blogs had taken over and somehow, Lil Wayne was absolutely everywhere and being talked about as the best rapper alive. As I started trying to get back into the swing of things, and avoid anything with Wayne on it (I really can't stand him - Duffle Bag Boy, Renaissance remix and a couple of old Cash Money tracks aside) I came across this podcast by DJ Peter Parker which turned out to be full of songs I loved and hadn't heard before. It still gets played to this day so thought I'd share it. We're now at the point where something from 2007 is old enough to qualify for this blog:


The mix includes the dope, and still unreleased, Diamond D and Large Professor collab 'Life', which I really wish would see the light of day, and is also the first place I heard the Large Pro produced 'The Hardest' by AZ & Styles P. 'En Why Cee' by Juganot, Joel Ortiz (before he became contrived and annoying) and an early appearance from Uncle Murda is pretty slept on as far as I'm aware, as is Roc Marciano 'Lay It Down' off Marco Polo's first LP. I'll let you discover the rest for yourselves. Shout out to Ras Beats for his guest mix on here though.
I always think that one of the hallmarks of a good mix is that songs that maybe wouldn't grab your attention individually can sound great in the context of a well selected playlist. Kind of like how certain footballers (insert your own names) can appear better than they are by having more talented team mates alongside them.

As often seems to be the case with things I like, the podcast was stopped not long after I found out about it. I've got one or two more I might post up at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment